Sunday, July 29, 2007

So, Meagan and Ryan, You Just Left Bulgaria! What Are You Going To Do Now?

Well, we're not going to Disney World. At least not for a little while.

Instead we're continuing on in our tradition of adventure with something very unique and, we think, tremendously exciting.

I really owe it all to Ryan. In 2006 I ran the
Disney Marathon with the A-T Children's Project, a nonprofit designed to raise funds through events and contributions from corporations, foundations and friends to further international scientific research aimed at finding a cure for Ataxia-telangiectasia, or A-T. This is a progressive, degenerative disease that affects children, bringing about immune system problems, a predisposition to cancer and an inability to control the muscles, as well a startling and horrific array of other physical problems. Sadly, there is no cure for A-T and many children die before reaching their 20's.

Although I had run 4 previous marathons and over 20 smaller road races, this was by far the most rewarding race I had ever completed and I signed up as soon as possible for the following year. Of course, then I went and moved to Bulgaria, so I never did get to run that next race. But I still thought often about how much that particular marathon meant to me.

So when we were job-hunting, I immediately began looking into working with ATCP. However, I was initially discouraged by their lack of an employment section on their website. Nevertheless, Ryan strongly encouraged me to send them a cover letter and résumé. I sent them off, not really expecting a response. To my surprise, I was contacted later that day by the Executive Director. It was true that they didn't currently have an open position, she said. But, out of curiosity, what was I looking for? I told her and thus ensued a flurry of e-mails and phone calls that have snowballed into something far bigger than I think Ryan or I expected.

While a lot of the details are still a little fuzzy as the overall gameplan cotinues to get hammered out, here's what we do know.

Ryan and I will spend the next few days here in Maryland, before heading to Illinois on Thursday to visit with his family. Following a huge family reunion with his dad's side of the family on the 11th, Ryan and I will either fly or drive to Ft. Lauderdale and undergo three weeks of training with ATCP.

At that point we will be embarking on a two-month journey across the United States with the
A-T CureTour. Tim Borland will be running 63 marathons in 63 days, starting with the Disneyland Half Marathon (which he will run twice) and ending with the New York City Marathon to raise awareness and funding for ATCP. Deb and Brad Carr, independent film makers, will be producing FEAT, a documentary that follows his experience along the way.






Through 29 different states and Montreal, Ryan and I will serve as Jacks of All Trade, helping to set up sites, hand out T-shirts, talk about A-T, collect donations and trouble-shoot. It promises to be a challenging and emotional experience... not to mention a lot of fun. Once we finish with the Tour on November 4, we will then head down to Ft. Lauderdale, FL when the position they are creating for me will ideally be available. Best of all, it's my dream job since they've essentially created it around my skills and interests. We're both absolutely over the moon that things worked out so perfectly for us and feel South Florida will make a wonderful new home for Ryan, Tyson and me.

Yesterday Ryan and I celebrated our two-year anniversary by looking at (but not buying yet) engagement rings in the morning and making the rounds in the BBQ circuit in the afternoon. Without sounding too gag-worthy, I can't believe we've been together for two years and that I get to spend the rest of my life with the most amazing man in the world. From Orlando to Bulgaria... to a journey across the United States and back to Florida again... I love you so much baby!

No comments: