Thursday, November 30, 2006

Why You Should Not Use Dishwashing Liquid in the Dishwasher by Meagan P.


It was Laura's idea.

Well, first she suggested Tide. But I wasn't sure that would work as well. In our defense, we were out of detergent... there really were an awful lot of dirty dishes... and, after all,
"Palmolive® dishwashing liquids are formulated to be tough on grease yet soft on hands!" So although I think I knew deep down that the prudent idea would be to wait to run the dishwasher until we purchased the stuff formulated for just that purpose, I embraced Laura's suggestion with tremendous enthusiasm. As swift as I am to point out that my awesome and creative roommate provided the inspiration... it was I who gaily poured about half a tablespoon of neon-green dishwashing fluid into the dishwasher and turned it on.

Now that I think about it, I do recall hearing that this method has the potential to produce bubbles.
Lots and lots and LOTS of bubbles. I have confess, then, I wasn't entirely surprised when I heard Laura gasp "Meagan!" and I rounded the corner to find we were just minutes away from being able to host a thoroughly exciting foam party right in our very own kitchen. In another day and age, I might have gone running for my bikini. Instead... I dashed for the towels.

Anyway, in the spirit of kindness and generosity, I want to share with you now some valuable lessons gleaned from this experience in case you totally ignore this post and inadvertently flood your kitchen with bubbles.

1. When your roommate is doubled-over, nearly wetting herself with laughter... you absolutely must stop laughing and snorting hysterically yourself. Otherwise the phrase, "Stop laughing! Help me! It's not funny! Stop laughing!" really has very little meaning.

2. Colanders and white vinegar are surprisingly useful for respectively scooping out bubbles and diminishing the foam in a swift and effective manner so your other roommate doesn't find out and yell at you for stupidly using dishwashing liquid in the first place. (Hi Jenn! We love you! Thanks for finding it funny!)

Um, yeah. That's it. I got nothing else out of the experience. Oh wait. Except this:

3. Go for the camera before the towels, colander and vinegar if you want to capture the moment on film. Otherwise, when you try to take a picture after the drama has occurred and the bubbles are winding down... it doesn't look nearly as impressive or wildly humorous when you try to post it on your blog later for posterity.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

I once read in a magazine that if you run out of dishwashing detergent (is that even what it's called?), you can substitute shampoo. Yes, shampoo! So, I tried it twice. First time, worked like a charm. Second time ... well, worked like your recent experience. Guess we should stick to the tried an true! (But really, where's the fun in THAT?)

Meag said...

Shampoo, eh? Well, if I ever run out of dishwashing detergent again, I will break out the Suave!